It is with great excitement (and some sadness) that we announce that Harvest Kitchen will be moving from Depot Town at the end of March. It’s been an amazing six years and we are very grateful to the Ypsilanti community for all your support. We are looking forward to the next phase of Harvest Kitchen at our new location, the Washtenaw Food Hub, which is on the west side of Ann Arbor.
At the Food Hub we will be focusing our business on production–we will not have a storefront or opening hours. We will miss seeing all of our Ypsilanti regulars, but we are working hard to ensure that you will still be able to enjoy our food. Read on for more details!
We plan to be in production in Ypsilanti through the end of March and to begin production at the Food Hub the first week of April, so we’re hoping for almost no down time. We’ll see if we can make that happen…please be sure that you’ve signed up for our email list to receive notifications of any changes to the plan/schedule. There is a tool on the right hand side of this page that allows you to sign up.
Please note that some of the details and changes are still evolving. We will update this page as more information becomes available as well as sending out emails. We will also be contacting subscribing customers directly to explain how the changes will affect their subscriptions.
For most of our customers, things will stay mostly the same! The main change is that we will send out the upcoming menu on Sunday morning (instead of the current Monday) and you will be able to place your order by 7 pm on Tuesday for pick up or delivery on Saturday or Monday. More information about ordering deadlines and delivery schedule is available on our delivery page.
Here’s how that will work for our regular customers:
- If you are a current home delivery subscriber who receives deliveries on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, you will have your choice of delivery on Saturday or Monday.
- If you currently place orders for home delivery, you will need to be sure to get your order in by 7 pm on Tuesday to receive delivery on Saturday or Monday (but you’ll receive the menu on Sunday so you’ll have three whole days to make your selections!)
- If you currently visit us at our store in Depot Town, we will miss you so much!
- If you are a subscriber, we are arranging for you to be able to pick up your subscription on Saturday or Monday at the Ypsilanti Food Co-op.
- If you are just a “stop in and shop” person, please consider using our website to place orders for pick up at the Ypsilanti Food Co-op (free) or home delivery ($7 per delivery to Ypsilanti). See delivery page for more info. Ordering deadlines will apply.
- If you currently pick up your order or subscription at Argus Farm Stop you will have the option of picking up on Saturday or Monday (note ordering deadlines).
- If you currently visit us at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market on Saturdays, nothing will change! Sadly we are not planning to attend the Ann Arbor Farmers Market on Wednesdays this summer.
- If you are a NEW customer, we hope that you will find our new system very convenient!
We really want to ensure that all our current customers continue to enjoy the fresh and delicious meals that you have become accustomed to. Please let us know if you have any questions about the new system by emailing us at email@example.com or calling our NEW phone number, 734-436-1052
Background Information: What’s Next for Depot Town and for Harvest Kitchen
Why is this happening???? Well, after many years we have come to realize that much as we love seeing all of our Ypsilanti regulars, the walk-in retail side of our business is not the main thing we’re doing, and it’s expensive to operate the store (including rent and staff time). We are working on “right-sizing” our operation to ensure that Harvest Kitchen can continue to grow and thrive in years to come. The opportunity to work at the Washtenaw Food Hub is a huge boon to Harvest Kitchen–the Food Hub is designed to be a central aggregation point for local farmers and food producers. They have lovely production-oriented kitchen facilities with plenty of storage. In fact, Harvest Kitchen already stores some of our frozen produce at the Hub, and many of our farmer-partners use the Hub for storage and deliveries too! It’s going to be very convenient and we’re extremely happy to be part of this space whose mission is so parallel with ours. Here’s to good things to come!
As for our old home in Depot Town, it is going to become part of Maiz! We love Maiz and their awesome Taco Tuesdays and Margaritas, so we’re excited to know that they’re expanding to serve more customers. We’ve had several great conversations with Maiz’s owner, Jason Branham, and we’re excited about his plans. It’s not yet clear exactly how the space is going to be integrated into Maiz, but we wish them well. 32 E Cross St has been a very happy home to Harvest Kitchen and we’re excited for the next phase in its 100+ year history.
To ease the pain of the transition we will be offering a 20% Discount on all Freezer Specials through the end of March (or while supplies last). You can come down to Depot Town to browse selections or place an order through our website using coupon code WHATSNEXT .
Thanks again for being great customers and for all your support over the years.
Mary and the HK team